Cooking at Avenue
Classes will cook three times over the school, one of these sessions will include cooking the school a themed lunch, another will include cooking produce that has been grown at school and a third session which will fit in with topic learning.
We are teaching a progression of skills within our cooking lessons.
Year 1 and 2
- With close supervision use bridge hold to cut harder food using a serrated vegetable knife – such as an apple
- With close supervision use the claw grip to cut soft foods using a serrated vegetable knife – such as a tomato
- With close supervision mash cooked food such as potatoes with a masher
- With close supervision peel soft vegetables using a peeler such as a cucumber
- With close supervision cut food into evenly sized largish pieces such as potatoes
- With close supervision and physical guidance when needed peel harder food such as apple or potato
- With close supervision use a melon baller to core an apple
- With close supervision grate soft food using a grater e.g cheese
- Drain away liquids using a sieve or colander e.g sweetcorn
- Use a lemon squeezer
- Sift flour
- Mix and stir dry ingredients
- Rub fat into flour
- Crack an egg and beat
- Spread soft spread on to bread
- Use hands to shape dough balls or small shapes
- Arrange cold ingredients e.g sandwich, fruit kebabs, bruschetta
- Use measuring spoons for liquids, solids and dry ingredients
Year 3 and 4
- Use a measuring jug to measure liquid
- Use weighing scales
- With supervision begin to use the claw grip to cut harder food using as serrated knife e.g carrot
- With supervision begin to use both the bridge and the claw grip to cut the same food using a serrated vegetable knife e.g onion
- With supervision use a masher to mash hot food to a fairly smooth texture
- With supervision begin to use a peeler harder food (e.g. apple , potato)
- With supervision, cut foods into evenly sized strips or cubes (e.g pepper, cheese)
Year 5 and 6
- Confidently crack an egg and with supervision, whisk using an electric hand mixer or balloon whisk an egg eg. For fairy cakes.
- With supervision, confidently use both the bridge hold and claw grip to cut the same food using a serated vegetable knife eg. Onion. With support use a can opener and open ring pull tins.