At Avenue Primary School we follow the Agreed Syllabus for RE in Leicester and Leicestershire Schools 2014 – 2019. Religious Education is an essential component of a broad and balanced education and its place in the Basic Curriculum is statutory.
During RE lessons, the children will learn about the six principal religions represented in the United Kingdom (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism). This is in line with the law, which states that, religious education should have regard to the fact that the religious traditions in Great Britain are in the main Christian, while taking account of the other principal religions represented in Great Britain.
Our RE curriculum aims to enable children to:
- acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions represented in the United Kingdom,
- develop an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities, societies and cultures,
- develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements about religious and moral issues,
- develop positive attitudes of respect towards other people who hold views and beliefs different from their own,
- enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
Parents do have the right to withdraw their children from RE lessons and daily collective worship.