Applying for a place in our 'Caterpillars' Nursery (Age 3 - 4)
How to Apply
Parents may apply for a place in the Nursery via the school. You will need to complete an application form.
The options for applying are listed below:
1) Download the application form:
You can complete the form as a Word document, save it and then email it to email@example.com
Or complete the form by hand and return by post to: Avenue Primary School, Avenue Road Extension, Clarendon Park, Leicester LE2 3EJ.
2) Visit the school to pick up and complete the form in person.
Please note: We do not post out application forms due to postage costs.
Applying for a place in Reception to Year 6
Parents wishing to apply for a place in Reception (Foundation 2) through to Year 6 must apply through Leicester Education Authority, as all places are allocated by the Schools Admissions Team and not managed through Avenue Primary School.
Children must start full time education in September after their 4th Birthday and places are allocated subject to availability and as per Local Authority criteria detailed below:
- Pupils who are in the care of the Local Authority
- Pupils who are on the list of children subject to child protection plans and need to attend an alternative school to avoid the abuser
- Pupils who live in the priority area of the school
- Pupils who have siblings already attending the same school but not the nursery
- Pupils living in the area of a closed school whose parents name one of the linked schools to that area. If there are more of these preferences than places available, we will allocate them to the pupils who live closest in a straight line
- Pupils whose parents base their application on a religious conviction
- Children of parents/carers fleeing domestic violence (Subject to verification by a senior social worker or current Leicester City Council procedures for housing reallocation in cases of recognised domestic violence)
- Pupils who live nearest the School (measured in a straight line)
The School Admissions Team can be contacted in the following ways:
Phone: 0116 454 1009 (option 1)
Write: School Admissions Service, Customer Service Centre, York House, 91 Granby Street, Leicester LE1 6FB
At Avenue Primary School we have 2.5 classes in each year group with 30 places per class. We have adopted Leicester City Council’s over-spill policy and subject to certain conditions, the number of pupils in a class can be a little higher.
Right of Appeal
Parents have a right of appeal and if you do not get a place at your chosen school, the appeals are dealt with by the Leicester City Council School Admissions Team. Avenue Primary School is unable to support or decline an application once a decision has been made by the Local Authority.
Children Applying to Reception
For children wishing to start school for the first time in reception, we offer tours through the Autumn Term led by Mrs Browne and Mrs Surti (our EYFS leaders) and Mrs Underwood (our Head Teacher).
To book on one of tours please email our school office on:
firstname.lastname@example.org or ring to speak to a member of our admin team on 0116 2708326.
Flyer for Reception Tours for August 2022 Intake
Upon Allocation to Avenue Primary School
Once you have been allocated a place at Avenue, Mrs Soma, our induction lead or a member of our office staff, will contact you to invite into school for a meeting to complete the induction paperwork. A start date will then be agreed at this time.
Transfer to Secondary School
Leicester City Council have a website dedicated to helping you through the process of applying for a secondary school place and there is also a guide that you can download. Click here to visit the site.
Likewise Leicester County Council have their own site. Click here to visit the site.
Pupils move on to a range of secondary/high schools at the end of year 6. Details of these schools can be found on their webpages. Securing a place at your chosen school is dependent on each school's admission criteria e.g. catchment. We advise you to attend each school's open evening so you can be best informed when applying for a place for your child.
Transition meetings are held with the new schools so that staff can liaise closely and all children will have opportunities to visit their new school. Open Evenings will be held at the secondary schools usually in the autumn term prior to transfer.