Cooking at Avenue
Cooking and nutrition
As part of our work with food, pupils are taught how to prepare and cook healthy, mostly savoury dishes. Within the school year, children have one opportunity each term to prepare and taste food. At Avenue, we aim to instil a love of cooking in pupils. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others well, now and in later life. Where possible, we also try and taste the food we have grown in our own playgrounds and incorporate them into the dishes we create.
Key stage 1
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- understand where food comes from
Key stage 2
- understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed
As part of our cooking curriculum, once a year City Catering provide ingredients for each year group to cook their Phase Lunches and where possible we like to invite parents to come and eat with their children!
Here are some photos from our Phase cooking in KS2: