Scroll to content
Avenue Primary School home page

Avenue Primary School

Where learning springs to life

Making provision for pupils with SEND

A child is placed on the SEN register if they are identified as having additional needs. These needs might be behavioural and social, learning and cognitive, speech and language, medical or physical.


When they are put on the SEN register, their progress will be monitored more closely at more regular intervals. They will be given specific targets to achieve in order to help them to make progress. They may be given interventions or additional support to help them to achieve these targets. All children will be placed on the register as SEN support.


SEN Support

This means that your child has been identified as needing some extra support in school. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. It also may mean that your child needs support with a physical, behavioural or a medical difficulty.


What does this mean for your child?

Your child’s teacher will make sure that the curriculum is tailored to meet your child’s needs.  Your child may also engage in interventions and sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.

You may be asked for permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This will help you and the school to better understand your child's specific needs.


Education Health and Care plans (EHC) : Specified individual support

This types of support was previously referred to as a Statement. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, lifelong or complex. This is usually provided via a statement of Educational Needs or an Education Health and Care Plan.


What does this mean for your child?

The school can request that the Local Authority can carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.


The Local Authority will decide if your child needs to have an EHC plan or if their needs are best met at SEN Support.

Raise donations for our school whenever you shop online

Sign Up to Easy Fundraising